Monday, October 26, 2015

Instant Happy Journal - Karen Salmansohn


There were three things in the title which attracted me to this book.  First, 'journal'.  I love to journal and love journals of all kinds.  Second, 'instant'.  As in instant gratification.  And third, 'happy'.  Who doesn't want to be happy?  

I can add a couple of other things which are attractive about this book.  It's small.  Only about 5.5"X6.5" and about an inch thick.  Just the right size to keep on the bedside table or throw in your bag and carry with you.  And it has a solid feel to it.  It doesn't feel like it would fall apart after a few uses. Secondly, the dates are blank.  So you can start anywhere in the book, writing down your responses to the questions or skip around.  Each day has a prompt in the form of a quote or question for you to think about and respond to.  All the pages are sturdy, so most pens will not bleed through to the other side.  Each page has an attractive colored graphic border of some sort around it.

Now for the downside.  It's too happy!  The outside, with the red, orange and yellow, I know is suppose to be energetic and, well, happy.  But it reminds me of McDonalds and just too happy for me.  I think I might have to make a cover for it as I have it on my bedside table.  I am using it at night before I go to bed.  Or at least that is my plan at the moment.

Another 'unhappy' thought about the book some of the prompts are really not prompts at all.  For example, how am I to respond to "Love the Heck out of Life"?  Or, in such a small space, how am I suppose to write a letter to myself or the first chapter or two of my life story?

Since I have it beside my bed and I would like to use the book, I will probably collage on some of the pages and put in other words or phrases over the prompts in the book and make it more my own.

I think this is a book you would give someone who you know loves 'page a day' books, but overall I probably would not buy this for myself or a serious journal writer.  

Note: I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment.