Saturday, April 25, 2015

Update on 26 Books to Read in 2015

Actually, I feel a bit of a cheat on this project.  After all, working at a library means I have at my disposal hundreds and hundreds of books.  On a daily basis.  And my co-workers and I are all book-addicts.  So much so, if one of us gets a book on reserve before the others, we leave little "hurry-up-and-read notes" for them. I also know this is suppose to be a year-long challenge, but I'm already at 60+ books for the year and it's the end of April.

I have been on a couple of 'jags' with my reading.  First, is reading Terry Brooks.  He is the author at MisCon 29 and I want to be familiar with his writings.  Actually, the first book I read of his was his book on writing.  Now it seems there will be a series by MTV based on his Shannara books.  Secondly, I have been on a reading about writing and creativity bent.  Third, Montana history.  Well, I haven't actually done more than check out a couple of books recommended to me, but they are beside the bed.  I want to learn more about this wonderful state I live in. Which brings up my fourth obsession currently - Yellowstone.  I have been watching Ken Burn's The National Parks and realized I had plucked off the giveaway cart the companion book to the series.

Anyway - the list and my progress to date:

1.  A BOOK YOU OWN BUT HAVEN'T READ - Lavender Garden by Lucinda Riley

2.  A BOOK THAT WAS MADE INTO A MOVIE - Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks (well, not technically a movie, but close enough)

3.  A BOOK YOU PICK SOLELY BECAUSE OF THE COVER - Tons, but will settle on one soon

4.  A BOOK YOUR FRIEND LOVES - will have to check on this one

5.  A BOOK PUBLISHED THIS YEAR - Vision in Silver by Anne Bishop

6.  A BOOK BY AN AUTHOR YOU'VE NEVER READ BEFORE - Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld (a young adult writer, interesting book)

7.  A BOOK BY AN AUTHOR YOU LOVE - many, but will settle on Bittersweet by Susan Wittig Albert (love her China Bayles series)

8.  A BOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF YOUR 'TO BE READ' PILE - several in fact, I need to read my writing group member's books - so several M. A. Brotherton books on my iPad to eread.

9.  A BOOK WITH A COLOR IN THE TITLE - The Van Gogh Blues by Eric Maisel (about depression and creativity)

10. A BOOK SET SOMEWHERE YOU'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO VISIT - Secret of a Thousand Beauties by Mingle Yip.  Needlework and China - what's not to like.

11. A BOOK YOU STARTED BUT NEVER FINISHED - The Twelves Rooms of the Nile by Enid Shomer.  Couldn't make it through the first room, much less 12.

12. A BOOK WITH A LION, A WITCH, OR A WARDROBE - still pending

13. A BOOK WITH A FEMALE HEROINE - Dead Heat by Patricia Briggs

14. A BOOK SET IN THE SUMMER - pending

15. A BOOK OF POEMS - pending - probably a Mary Oliver one

16. A BOOK YOU LEARNED ABOUT BECAUSE OF THIS CHALLENGE - pending

17. A BOOK THAT WILL MAKE YOU SMARTER - The Art of Slow Writing by Louise DeSalvo.  Unfortunately, this has also spurred another obsession, writers and their journals about writing their books.

18. A BOOK WITH A BLUE COVER - The Liar by Nora Roberts

19. A BOOK YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO READ IN SCHOOL BUT DIDN'T - right now, it looks like East of Eden by John  Steinbeck.  Of course, I have to read this in tandem with his journal on writing the book.

20. A BOOK "EVERYONE" BUT YOU HAS READ - pending

21. A BOOK WITH A GREAT FIRST LINE - pending

22. A BOOK WITH PICTURES - I have a toddler in the house, are you kidding!  Piggies was the latest hit.

23. A BOOK FROM THE LIBRARY - most of them!

24. A BOOK YOU LOVED AND READ AGAIN - A Shiver of Light by Laurell K. Hamilton (along with several others of hers and Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden series, squeezed in a couple of those)

25. A BOOK THAT IS MORE THAN 10 YEARS OLD - The Sierra Club Nature Writing Handbook by John Murray

26. A BOOK BASED ON A TRUE STORY - A Wilder Rose by Susan Wittig Albert

So there you have it, my updated list.  

Oh, and my NEW obsession - 12 Banned Books Every Woman Should Read.  As it turns out the library has all but one of them, number 12.  That one I picked up on my kindle for $2.50.  I have read one of the books, but need to reread because I have forgotten a lot of the details.

So many books, so little time!  And if anyone has suggestions for my 'pending' status categories, please let me know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment.