Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Story Genius - Lisa Gron

I am a sucker for books on writing.  Almost as much as I am a sucker for anything chocolate.


And interestingly enough, this book came to me right be National Novel Writing Month started.  However, Story Genius is not a quick read, especially in light of some of the other writing books I'm read.

Lisa Cron takes what most of the books on writing says to do and turns it on it's head.  Using the old '5 W's and How' from journalism, Cron has you crafting your novel using "What If?, The Who, The Why, The Worldview, The When and What Next?".  Creating the inside story is the first half of the book. Then she takes you into 'blueprinting' your story, pulling out cards, and building your story.  

There is a lot to absorb with this book and each chapter ends with an exercise based on that chapter's contents.  This is not a book to breeze through and stick on your shelf, but a deep read and write.  So much so, my initial read through is now a 'go-back-and-reread'.  But after NaNoWriMo.  Otherwise, I would be trashing what I've got and starting all over again (exactly what Cron's warns me about!)







"I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment.