Monday, May 29, 2017

The Story Cure - Dinty W. Moore


Subtitled as a pain-free guide to finishing your novel or memoir, I grabbed this one right up. Plus, I have read other books by Moore in the past and knew, if nothing else, it would be a pain-free read. And I wasn't wrong. 

Under 200 pages, The Story Cure is set up in two parts - Cures and Checkups. 

Within "Cures" you have your 'diagnosis' and then the 'cure' for the ailment. Plus there are prompts and exercises to help. One of my favorite exercises is the "Green, Pink and Yellow of Character". This is were Moore has you take a chapter from the book and color-code various elements in the chapter. And if you have a lot of green and little or no yellow, then you are on the right track to a good story.

Another thing I enjoyed about the book were the examples Moore gives in each section. A lot of books on writing tell you, but don't show you, what they are talking about. He gives an example to illustrate what the section or chapter is referring to. There is no guess work on your part, so you can't get it wrong.

I enjoyed the book and will be using several of the exercises to keep me motivated in my own writing.



"I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment.