Thursday, September 22, 2016

Natural Color - Sasha Duerr

I have resisted learning how to spin.  Well, actually, I do have 2 drop spindles, but only 2 hands and I think I need a third hand to make it work - for me.  

And it's fall.  Leaves on the ground, wonderful colors everywhere.  And then I received Natural Color by Sasha Duerr.  And I think all my holding back from dyeing fabric and yarns is now out the window!


Subtitled "Vibrant plant dye projects for your home and wardrobe", Duerr has broken the book into seasons, a very sensible way to looking at gathering plant material for dyeing fabric.  She doesn't go into yarn dyeing, but I'm sure her methods could be used on yarn too.  



From rose petals, to hibiscus, to blue spruce being used on napkins, hats and baskets this is one hefty dose of eye candy.  And it's not all just about pretty pictures (although there are tons of them.)

Duerr covers everything from setting up the work area and the tools needed to achieve the results you want.  If you have ever been even remotely interested in dyeing your own fabrics, DO NOT pick up this book or you will be out eyeing all sorts of leaves, flowers and grasses for potential use.

So know I am stockpiling linen, silk and wool and scouring the thrift stores for stainless steel pots.  All I need is an outside burner.  Wonder if my grill would work?



"I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment.